- Write an opinion essay using MLA standards in which you defend OR contest that this novel is considered an American “classic“.
- The four criteria for a “classic” are shown below *** and each one must be addressed in your opinion along with a supporting direct quotation from the novel.
3. A classic has a certain universal appeal. Great works of literature touch us to our very core being — partly because they integrate themes that are understood by readers from a wide range of backgrounds and levels of experience. Themes of love, hate, death, life, and faith touch upon some of our most basic emotional responses.
4. A classic combines enlightenment with enchantment. It awakens our imagination and enlarges our humanity.
- Minimum Length: 2-1/2 pages PLUS a Works Cited (Works Cited is NOT counted in the page length)
- Your essay needs to be formatted in MLA style, with heading, header, title, Times New Roman 12, one-inch margins. Do not use 1st person or second person.
- Use correct MLA standards for integrating quotations and citations and the entry in the Works Cited page.
- State a thesis at the end of the introductory paragraph and use transitions to organize your essay.