The value of a good assessment comes from the ability to conceptualize a situation and provide some language and a vehicle to promote change. Too many times in treatment, an assessment is completed as a task of the first few sessions and then left in the chart never to be reviewed again. This is a mistake, and good practice includes a constant review and update to the assessment as well as a plan of action.
you will be able to practice making a difference in a child’s life by creating a training and intervention program for the adults in that child’s life.
- Write a summary assessment of the case study to be handed out in the school meeting with the family and professionals. This summary should include the following:
- Background information about the child, explaining his or her behavior and the current situation
- Possible determinates of the stated behaviors focusing on the family
- Possible determinates of the stated behaviors focusing on the school
- Create a presentation, with detailed speaker notes, to train the parents and school personnel to better understand the socialization of this particular child and to create a training and intervention program for both parents and school personnel. The presentation should provide research support from at least two peer-reviewed articles and include the following:
- Separate title and reference slides.
- Provide a review of the role this child plays in his or her family, how that correlates with the expressed behavior, and specific interventions recommended to change problematic behaviors.
- Provide a review of the role this child plays in his or her school and peer group, how that correlates with the expressed behavior, and interventions recommended to change problematic behaviors.
- Create a guide for parents to find the resources needed in the community or methods to gain the services needed for their child. Be sure to also identify four or five resources in your own community, and provide a description of the services they provide that would be useful.
- Provide information on resiliency and the research literature that best applies to this particular case study. Present the strength areas of the child, family, and school integrated with this resiliency literature to provide positive intervention strategies.
- Write a 2-page summary assessment in Word format and develop a 15 slide presentation (with detailed speaker notes) in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources, including use of in-text citations and full references. Academic sources could include, required readings for this module, or academic journal articles found in the online library.