Assignment 3: Qualitative Article Analysis
DUE: Wednesday Aug 17, 2016 BEFORE 11:55 PM CST
This assignment uses a similar strategy to the assignment in the previous weeks topic ” Conflict Management”, except that it focuses on qualitative research. You will find another different article related to your topic of interest (USE THE SAME TOPIC THE WHOLE ENTIRE COURSE AND DO NOT CHANGE IT ). Use the library and the same essential process that was described previously, including the preparation of a 550-600 word or more paper to submit along with the article that you find. Consult the rubric associated with weekly assignments to see the grading criteria. NOTE: SELECT AN ARTICLE THAT WAS PUBLISHED WITHIN THE LAST TEN YEARS. Avoid articles that contain quantitative research.
1. Using the same topic you selected from week one, and utilizing a similar research strategy in the online library, find a journal article that presents qualitative scholarly research associated with your topic. Remember that scholarly research involves solving problems. If your article does not use qualitative methodology then you do not have an appropriate research article. For the purposes of this assignment you want to intentionally find a research article that contains qualitative methodology. Consult the Creswell textbook for assistance. Save the article to your computer to have as a reference and also to attach to the professor when your paper is completed.
2. Avid research skills need to be applied in this exercise. In Proquest or EBSCO, make the “Advanced Search” do the work for you. Utilize all three boxes in the search window. For example, if you are trying to identify a scholarly journal with the topic of leadership that has hypotheses or questions identified, then in the first search box use the key word “leadership” in the next search box use the key word “hypotheses” and the last search box use the key word “research question.” You also may want to do a search and change one of the key words to “qualitative” that produces an article that may have a theory or model associated with the study.
REMEMBER to check the “Scholarly Journal” box and the “Full-text” box. Also, viewing the article in the PDF version will allow a better viewing of the qualitative research in its entirety.
3. Write a short paper (550-600 words or more) that demonstrates a brief analysis of the qualitative research article you selected in week 1 “Conflict Management”. PLEASE USE THIS TOPIC THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE ENTIRE COURSE AND DO NOT CHANGE IT. You are to write your paper in such a way as to answer the questions/issues below. However, do not include the list on your paper. Instead, let the items guide the content expressed in your paper, which should be in typical paragraph form.
⦁ State the research problem or issue in the study.
⦁ State the hypothesis/questions or objectives. Were they stated clearly?
⦁ What questionnaires/survey instruments were used to answer the problem?
⦁ What was the population used in the study? Was there a sample used? If so, how was the sample selected? How many were in the sample?
⦁ What were the statistical techniques used to analyze the data?
⦁ Identify and report/discuss the model or models that are associated with the study or are developed from the study
⦁ Summarize the results. How clearly were the results presented?
⦁ What are the limitations of the study? Are they stated?
⦁ Summarize the conclusion(s). Are the conclusions presented clearly? Does the data support the conclusions? Does the researcher over generalize the findings?
⦁ How can the results and conclusions presented in this study be applied in your particular field of study or work environment?
4. Utilize the APA Helps in the Resources area to help you present your brief paper in APA format, which means that you need to write a Title Page and References Page separate from the body of the text of the paper (no abstract or author note are needed). On this assignment you should write the publication information about your article on the References Page and then also cite the source in the body of the paper when you are stating facts.
NOTE: Do not use macros or automatic referencing in your papers for this course. The auto features usually cause unforeseen problems in format. Plus, part of this course involves the student’s acquisition of the essentials of the APA style format.
5. Upload your paper along with the article you reviewed in the assignment section for grading. Follow the Submissions Guidelines as listed in the Syllabus: The various assignments for this course should be submitted as Word.doc attachments in the Assignment section of our virtual classroom. Each file should be named in the following manner: Last name–truncated Week Number-Assignment name (abbreviated if necessary)
For example: Morrow-Wk03-Qualitative Article Analysis
The accompanying article upon which your work is based should be saved to your computer as a pdf file and then uploaded along with your assignment, named as suits you, EXCEPT put your last name first in the following manner: Last name–the name of your article (abbreviate as needed)
For example: Morrow-YadaYada Research
Please note that you should upload two items into the same assignment area: your paper (.doc) and the article (.pdf) upon which your paper is based.
Here are two examples of a sample paper with annotations to demonstrate what a typical paper in this course should look like:
APA Sample Paper #1
APA Sample Paper #2 (Do not include the author’s note at the bottom of the title page)
BEFORE YOU WRITE/SUBMIT YOUR PAPER . . . I highly suggest that you view the following YouTube video (if you have not already done so). It will show you how to get off on the right foot in APA formatting of your written assignments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pbUoNa5tyY&feature=related.
Another must-see video has to do with plagiarism (from the lecture). Note that it was developed using MLA format instead of APA. However, the essential message is applicable to the work in this course:
Here are some additional videos to help you with your work this week:
• Scholarly vs Popular Periodicals– http://youtu.be/VeyR30Yq1tA
• Peer Review in 5 Minutes– http://youtu.be/twogpmM-SfY
• Evaluation of Sources using the CRAAP test— http://www.csuchico.edu/lins/handouts/eval_websites.pdf
⦁ Management+Program+Writing+Rubrics+1-2014-2.doc (67 KB)