- Write a 4 page explanation of visual aesthetic principles in art from the Baroque period through the early twentieth century. Then, assess the impact of contemporary aesthetic principles as used in commercial design.
- This assessment allows you to demonstrate your understanding of foundational principles in the visual arts.
The history and development of the visual arts can best be understood through a series of distinct periods or movements. The Assessment 5 Context document provides a brief overview of some of the major periods of art history and as well as the artists who were the key contributors to each period or movement. You may wish to review this document for important concepts and ideas.
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
Click the links provided to view the following resources:
- Assessment 5 Context. SEE ATTACHED
Click the link provided below to view the following multimedia piece:
The following e-books or articles from the University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Carl, K. H., & Charles, V. (2009). Baroque art. New York, NY: Parkstone International.
- Cottington, D. (2005). Modern art: A very short introduction. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
Course Library Guide
The University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the HUM-FP1000 – Introduction to Humanities Library Guide to help direct your research.
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required.
- Fiero, G. K. (2012). Landmarks in humanities. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Chapters 12–14.
For this assessment, complete the following:
- Write an essay explaining the aesthetic principles expressed in visual arts and describe how they changed from the Baroque period through the early twentieth century.
- Which basic features were preserved through the centuries, and which changed dramatically?
- How do you think artists choose which styles to employ in their own work?
- Consider how these styles are exemplified in commercial design during our own time. Collect eight or ten visual images from Web sites and advertisements and explain how they incorporate traditional elements ofvisual design.
- Are our decisions to purchase items of clothing, jewelry, automobiles, appliances, and services influenced significantly by the visual forms in which they are presented?
- Although your paper should offer a general thesis about the use of visual arts, much of the support you offer in its defense will involve details chosen from the specific examples you select. As you write, look for ways to tie everything together with your own view of the role that the visual arts continue to play in our everyday lives.
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Your paper should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Length: 4 typed and double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.