Write a 4 page assessment in which you apply principles of positive psychology to a setting of your choice.
Traditionally “mental health” has been a misnomer for mental illness, and the efforts at treating serious mental illness and psychopathology have a long and modestly successful history. Prevention of mental illness has been shown to be not only possible but very effective when done from the perspective of evidence-based strategies. Positive psychology goes one step further by researching the effectiveness of applications and strategies designed to enhance mental well-being and achieve a state of flourishing.
Good work is more than a job but something we call gainful employment. Positive schooling requires positive teachers and foundational qualities of trust, goals, plans, motivation, hope, and societal contributions. Application of character strengths in these settings is also included in our studies. Applications of positive psychology leading to flourishing relationships, including marriage and family settings, involve theories of love and life enhancement strategies.
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- Enhancement efforts aim to achieve optimal functioning and life satisfaction. Why is it important to discover and promote effective enhancement strategies?
- Could teachers be replaced with artificial intelligence programs in computers and still provide the same benefits of a traditional high-quality education? Why or why not?
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
Click the links provided to view the following resources:
- APA Paper Template.
- Research Guide – Psychology.
- Identifying Scholarly Resources.
- Using the APA Manual.
- Assessment Instructions
For this assessment, apply principles of positive psychology to a setting of your choice from the list below. Choose a setting for which you have a personal or professional interest, as this will strengthen the relevance of this assessment for you.
- Character Strengths in the Workplace.
- Positive Workplaces.
- Character Strengths and Mental health.
- Primary Prevention and Enhancement in Mental Health.
- Family-Centered Positive Psychology.
- Character Strengths in Positive Education.
- Positive Schools.
- Character Strengths and Health and Wellness.
Write a 4 page paper in which you provide the following. Use the APA Paper Template, available in the Resources, to properly format your assignment. Use the headings outlined below to organize your paper.
- Introduction – Write a description of the specific environment you are discussing and why you believe positive psychology principles could be of use in it. Include details of who is in the environment, where it is, and what people are doing in that setting.
- Applications of Positive Psychology – Write a detailed explanation of principles (for example, positivity, happiness, well-being) and concepts (for example, character strengths, flourishing, flow, gratitude) from positive psychology that are most relevant to the selected environment, and explain why.
- Strengths and Weaknesses of Positive Psychology Applications in this Setting – Write an assessment of the strengths and weaknesses (advantages and disadvantages, pros and cons) involved in the application of positive psychology principles and concepts in this setting.
- Research Supporting the Application of Positive Psychology in the Setting – Cite and apply scholarly research that supports the application of the positive psychology principles and concepts in this setting.
- Conclusion – Write a conclusion in which you summarize how the use of positive psychology principles and concepts in this setting may affect your current and future work life, health, education, or family.
Be sure to include supportive evidence from scholarly articles and to cite all scholarly sources where appropriate. Your writing should be scholarly and professional, using proper APA formatting and style.
- Written communication:Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Your paper should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Length:Your paper should be 4 typed and double-spaced pages, not including cover sheet and reference page.
- References:Your paper should include 1–2 properly cited scholarly resources.
- Font and font size:Times New Roman, 12 point.