Assignment 1: Discussion—Techniques and Tools for Managing the Data
You have explored many options for managing data as well as its importance to the overall health of an organization in making well-informed decisions. Many organizations feel that they have to utilize powerful and expensive solutions, but there are also cheaper alternatives. For example, MS Excel can be a great tool to manage data and identify answers to any questions. Thus, whether your organization is big or small, all the tools need to be evaluated to determine the one that will work best, not only in managing the data but also in lowering the overall cost. Managing cost is important, as you do not want to implement a solution that will bankrupt the organization; that, in itself, is an ill-informed decision.
Using the Argosy University online library resources and the Internet, research tools and techniques of managing data.
Respond to the following:
- What would be some of the mistakes or consequences of not investigating the costs associated with the organization’s information systems (data collection) choice? Besides going bankrupt, what other effects could it have on the organization? Could it lead to bad decision making? Explain.
- What systems does your organization utilize, either as a whole or per department? Is this solution effective? Why or why not? Is there a solution that would be more effective? If not, explain why.
- With the various solutions available today, which one do you think would work best for you? Meaning, which of these solutions (such as MS Excel or a decision-support system) would work best on the following criteria:
- Ease of use
- Interpretation of data
- Sharing of data
- Often, we think of business analytics as only for businesses. However, can any of these tools be used for personal decision making? Provide some examples of how you could utilize these tools.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Assignment 2: LASA 2—Business Analytics Implementation Plan Part 2
You began writing your business analytics implementation plan in Module 3. In addition, you already have gained information about the various technological solutions discussed in the previous modules. In this assignment, you will now address ways to implement the plan along with any associated costs, as this will complete the proposal for management to make their decision.
Description of LASA
In this assignment, you will amend your existing business analytics implementation plan developed in Module 3. You will amend the existing proposal to discuss the importance of managing information systems, describe the techniques and tools used to manage the data, and explain how utilizing technology can help the organization.
You have been hired as a business analyst for a well-known design firm. Currently, they utilize technology for their day-to-day operations but not to analyze data that could help with making business decisions. Your task is to convince management that the usage of business analytics would be a great benefit to the business and it would help the business to make well-informed decisions and thus action plans that would align with the business’s strategic planning.
The firm currently has technology in place but does not have any connected systems. The databases are all independent of each other but they do utilize a client/server environment. The firm currently has one location but is looking to add a second location in another part of the state but is unsure about whether it would be beneficial to the firm.
**The firm liked your implementation plan but have questions about how they will manage the data and how data driven decision making can help the organization versus just being an additional expense for the organization (cost of new equipment or resources).
Using the Argosy University online library resources and the Internet, research business analytics implementation plans, especially methods of developing a rationale in support of implementation. Select at least 6 scholarly sources for use in this assignment.
Amend your existing proposal addressing the importance of Management Information Systems and managing the data for the organization.
Objectives of proposals:
- Revise the previous proposal based upon the comments from your instructor.
- Explain the importance of MIS in relation to data-driven decisions.
- Describe the techniques and tools that can be utilized to manage the data. Include at least 2 effective techniques and 3 effective tools.
- Explain how the techniques and tools can be utilized to present data to management and other organizational decision makers. Be sure to include at least 3 innovative examples that follow current best practices for managing data.
- Explain to management how the data can add value to the business in day-to-day operations as well as long-term strategic planning. Use examples to further demonstrate how value is added to an existing organization.
Write the paper from the perspective that it will be presented to the firm’s management team as you are trying to persuade them to utilize business analytics for data-driven decision making.
The paper should contain:
- Cover Page (update date)
- Table of Contents (auto-generated by Microsoft Word and updated)
- Implementation Plan (5–6 pages of content revised as per instructor feedback)
- Management Information Systems Section: (5–6 pages of new content)
- Importance of MIS
- Techniques and Tools Utilized Along with examples
- Added Value to Organization
Utilize at least 6 scholarly sources in support of your recommendations.
Make sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in appropriate and accurate representation and attribution of sources; display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Submit a 10–-page report in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.