Assignment 2: Weekly Assignment: Do the Crime, Do the Time
Officer Johnson has been closely studying the family we have been following throughout this course. He mentioned in his report that Rob and Junior were managing the drug-based business. Mary was managing prostitution. Junior was working with some of his friends on a new capper. One of Junior’s friends was stealing computers from his employer and selling them on the Internet. Officer Johnson is also helping Lucy cope with sexual assault by her father, Rob. She was forced by her parents to get involved in prostitution. She is a minor and a victim of child abuse.
Having reached the conclusion of this course, you have seen how a normal Centervale family became involved in criminal activity. Through the previous modules, you have seen how the criminal element is transferred from the parents to the children and the affect this has on various lives in the family unit. You will now evaluate both sides of the issues in this case; from the prosecution’s perspective and defense’s perspective taking the following into account:
- Family pressure to act a certain way for acceptance
- Possible defenses that could be given
- Sentencing possibilities for the various crimes you have studied
Please consider how the events of this Centervale story play out from the standpoint of the prosecution and the defense. You are to review all modules to complete this discussion.
By Sunday, November 1, 2015, in a minimum of 300 words, post your responses to the following to the Discussion Area:
- What were the considerations for the family to enter a life of crime?
- How did involvement in crime affect interactions among the members of the family?
- What was the impact of the parents’ behaviors on other family members and the long-term effects on each of the parties?
- What are the various defenses that might be raised for Rob, Mary, and Junior and why?
- What are the potential sentencing options for the three members of the family, Rob, Mary, and Junior, and why are these sentences justifiable?
- Critically analyze the working of the American criminal justice system and suggest ways to improve it so that scenarios as given in this course can be prevented.
By Wednesday, November 4, 2015, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. Consider commenting on the family’s considerations for entering crime and how it affects their interactions as a unit. Comment on the considerations for potential sentencing and decipher why these sentences are justifiable. Comment on the suggested recommendations for improvements in the American criminal justice system.
Discussion Grading Criteria and Rubric
All discussion assignments in this course will be graded using a rubric. This assignment is worth 40 points. Download the discussion rubric and carefully read it to understand the expectations.
Assignment 1: LASA 2: Analysis of Technology, Culture and Victims in Crime
Jamal, a straight A junior in High School, was recently involved in a physical fight with another student in the corridor of the school. Juan is a recovering alcoholic who has absenteeism issues and poor grades. Although Juan was held back in sixth grade, and struggles with social situations, he has never been involved in any disciplinary action at school. However, Jamal recently completed 90 hours of community service after being convicted of disorderly conduct and simple assault from an unrelated incident.
The school video recordings show Jamal instigating the fight, yet student witnesses reported to school officials and law enforcement that Juan was the instigator. During the investigation, a drug dog alerted law enforcement to the possibility that a controlled substance was present in Juan’s locker. When confronted by law enforcement, Juan claimed Jamal planted the drugs in Juan’s locker to hide Jamal’s own habit. Regardless, Juan was placed under arrest. An external security camera recorded a verbal altercation between law enforcement and a group of young adults who felt Juan’s arrest was racially motivated.
You are the District Attorney’s Investigator and have been asked to evaluate this situation as pursuant to Juan’s upcoming trial. Compose a 3-6 page paper to address the following:
- Identify, define, examine, and discuss the crimes potentially committed by Juan and Jamal.
- Identify the victim(s) in this scenario. Outline the rights of the victim(s) as they related to social responsibility.
- Compare and contrast the legal issues that could arise for the police department in this scenario.
- Analyze how societal diversity might have played a role in this case. Discuss ethical practices utilized by law enforcement that help them to maintain their objectivity throughout their investigation of this incident, Jamal and Juan’s backgrounds, and the underlying interests of social order.
- Evaluate the use of technology, such as video tape recordings, as demonstrative evidence in the courtroom.
Compile your paper, including all information researched, and prepare a submission paper in accordance with the following guidelines:
- This paper is to be in APA format with a cover sheet and reference page at the end.
- The length of the paper is to be a minimum of three pages and no more than five pages. This length does not include your cover or reference sheets.
- Remember that APA font is Times New Roman, font size 12.
- Save the final paper as M5_A1_Lastname_Firstname.doc.
- By Monday, November 2, 2015, submit your final paper to the M5: Assignment 1 Dropbox.