Write a 5 paragraph essay discussing Life of Pi. For this essay, it is very important that you remember to write on a topic that you can analyze and discuss, a topic that isn’t simply a discussion of the plot, what happens, in the novel. Discuss an element that is critical to the novel functioning as something deeper than simply an adventure story. Some ideas are:
1. Martel has maintained that CH’s 21 and 22, while quite short, are at the core of the novel, discuss this, focusing on the idea of the “better story.”
2. Discuss which story you prefer: the one with or without animals? Why?
3. How does Pi’s practice of three religions equip him to survive his journey? Where do you see elements of each of the three while he is on his journey?
4. What is the significance of the island where Pi and Richard Parker take temporary refuge? What symbols are evident on the island?
5. In his introduction, the narrator’s persona maintains that this is a story that will “make you believe in God.” Discuss the truth, or lack, of this idea.
6. Write an in-depth character analysis of one of the primary characters in the novel. Include an analysis of its animal counterpart.
7. Analyze the movie, The Life of Pi. How well has the film captured the essence of the novel. Of course there are missing scenes, a two hour film is far too short to present every important detail from a novel. That being said, how well does the film capture the theme and the magic of the novel?
This essay must utilize references to the novel, which we call the primary source. Cite these in text in parenthetical citations. If you refer to outside criticism, please use a Works Cited page and be sure to use correct parenthetical citation.
You will be evaluated according to the organization and support of your discussion. Additionally, you will be held accountable for utilizing the conventions of academic English. Remember to include a thesis statement and topic sentences. Double-space. Follow standard MLA guidelines for formatting your paper. There is no need to include a title page.