Unit I Essay 2 pages
Discuss some employer tactics used to prevent or minimize union membership growth prior to the passage of the National Labor Relations Act in 1935. Which, if any, of these tactics would be lawful today? Why, or why not? Examine the challenges for unions and employers in the modern workplace.
This assignment needs to be two pages in length
Unit II Homework Assignment
Create a chart to compare and contrast the major legislative influences on the labor relations process. Your chart must contain at least five major legislative acts and how they affect management and unions. Columns should include the law, coverage, major provisions, and federal agencies.
Find a recent Supreme Court or U.S. Court of Appeals decision concerning a labor law issue. Summarize the case. Findlaw Legal Information Center is a good commercial site for researching case law
- What legal principles does the court rely upon in determining the case decision?
- Be sure to support your response with specific examples.
- Use one scholarly resource.
This homework assignment should be a minimum of two pages in length
Unit II Essay
Outline the difference in responsibilities of a local union representative, a shop steward, and an international or national union representative.
- How do their roles differ in the labor relations process?
This essay needs to be one page in length
Unit III Powerpoint 8 to 10 slides PPT
Create an 8-to 10-slide PowerPoint presentation outlining the advantages and disadvantages of union representation and how this increases or decreases employee motivation or morale.
- Within your PowerPoint presentation, address how collective bargaining plays a role with employees.
Please use the “Notes” feature in PowerPoint to add comments and notes
Unit IV Homework Assignment 2 pages
Read Case Study 6-2,“Classification of a Bargaining Subject,”on page 285 in your textbook, and answer the questions provided.
- What is a mandatory subject of bargaining?
- Can a union waive its right to bargain over a mandatory subject of bargaining?
- Would the established labor agreement apply to this case study?
- Was management’s refusal to bargain over the subject of surveillance camera usage in the workplace a violation of the duty to bargain in good faith under the Labor Management Relations Act (LMRA) as amended? If so, what should be the appropriate remedy?
- Discuss the merits of the parties’ respective positions in this case
Unit V Homework Assignment 2 pages
Which party (union or management) would likely be in a stronger position to bargain for its preferred wage outcome under the following conditions, and why?
- high profits, an expanding market share, a healthy economy, and the cost of living rising less than two percent per year
- low profits, stagnant sales growth, uncertain economic conditions, and a projected four percent annual rise in cost of living
Unit VI Essay 2 pages
Read Case Study 10-2, “Must a Union Process a Grievance of a Nonunion Employee?” on page 463 of your textbook. Then, answer the questions provided.
- What are nonunion employee rights under the LMRA?
- What is meant by the union’s duty of fair representation?
- When has the union met its obligation of fair representation?
- Has the union in this case met its fair representation obligation? Explain.
Unit VII Essay
In an essay, answer the following questions about the concepts tied to this unit. Your response needs to be at least one page in length.
- To what extent is employment-at-will an issue in discipline cases in nonunion companies?
- To what extent is it an issue in unionized companies?
- Based on your research, what advice do you have for managers?
- What advice do you have for lawmakers (i.e., to what extent should employment-at-will be relevant for employee discipline)?
Unit VIII Homework Assignment 1 pages
Prepare an essay response at least one page in length that answers the following questions:
- What is the European Union’s Social Charter?
- Why is it important for U.S. firms dealing with European unions to be aware of this
Unit VIII Essay 2 pages
Prepare an essay response of at least one page in length that addresses the following items:
- What factors distinguish the labor relations system in the public sector from that in the private sector?
- Propose a public-sector labor relations system for the employees of the city government.
- What would it borrow from the private sector?
- What would it not be able to borrow? Why?
- How would you modify your system to account for specific aspects of city government? Why?