- Job Swapping Can Be Done Internally. Some companies are reluctant to do external “job swaps” because of confidentiality but take advantage of internal opportunities. For example, Jay Miletsky, CEO of online video start-up MyPod Studios, decided to change roles with an internal developer for a day. Sunil Verma, from mobile-ad company Velti, swaps jobs with executive-level peers every quarter in order to increase teamwork and improve communication. Steve Cody, CEO of Peppercom, a PR firm in New York, uses the practice to gain an understanding of the work experiences of entry-level employees. “He traded places with junior-level employees, including his receptionist, a junior account manager, and an account supervisor. He cleaned conference rooms, hung up coats, answered phones, and wrote press releases.” Mr. Cody believes that he gained appreciation for employees’ need for work-life balance based on the experience. “If you’re open to a swap, you’ll come out of it a much better leader,” he said. YOUR THOUGHTS?
a.What are the pros and cons of job swaps?
b.What would be your ideal job swap?
c.If you managed a business, how would you feel about this option for your employees?
- What aspects of your job do you think contribute most to your performance and satisfaction, or lack thereof? How clearly should organizational objectives be communicated to company employees? Why?
- How can managers create an organizational climate that fosters Positive Organizational Behavior?
- Provide thoughts on the attached reading “Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Pygmalion Effect”
- Please watch the video located at URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_9f-7W3Ok8 and provide thoughts to the questions. Based on how engagement is defined in this video, would you say you are engaged with your work? Why or why not? Have you had a job, or seen someone else in a job that they were really engaged in? What would it take to make you more engaged in your job, based on the concepts we are learning this week? Class?
- How Do Employers Measure Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)?
- Can you change organtizational culture?
- Does Organizational Behavior Modification (OB Mod) really work?