View the short video under the following URL address on You Tube:
The “personal’ side of exceeding customer expectations is probably the most gratifying part of the service industry. It makes the customer feel good and special, and it makes you feel good and special.
From the video, please answer the following questions:
1) What are your thoughts on whether or not you think Maria Garcias actions #getting the diet coke# were instilled in her through company training? Or do you think she did it on her own?
2) Think about the hiring process that took place when Maria was hired by this hotel company. What qualities do you think they saw in Maria that made her a good hire?
3) What Maria did was so simple, yet her example is not common in our business, no matter what sector you are exposed to. If you were the manager overseeing Maria’s room service department, how would you motivate the rest of the room service team to work at her level of customer service?
4) How can we as managers better “tune-in” to the needs of our customers…especially those like Ross Shafer in the video; checking in after midnight?
5) Briefly describe the last time you were “wowed” by a special, unexpected personal service. How did you react? Did you provide positive feedback like Ross did in the video?
Answer each question in “mini-essay” form, that is, with an introduction, supporting body with references where appropriate and a conclusion for each question.