Composer Research Project
Title: Composer Research Project
Each student will research and write a biographical essay (of at least 1000 words) that examines the life and music of a composer that lived and composed music between 1400 and 1900 (each student will be assigned a composer in the weeks to come). Details:
The purpose of this assignment is to develop the skills necessary to analyze, synthesize, and critically assess research materials. A series of biographical questions will be provided for each student to address during the course of their research.
The essays must be double-spaced and use Times New Roman, 12 Point Font.
Students are required to include an annotated bibliography with a minimum of six (6) sources cited (two books, two journals, and two web links). Both MLA and APA styles are acceptable. Students should be prepared to highlight the major points of their research for the class.
A rubric will be used to assess the project (See Attachment)
Check the calendar for due dates.
Students are required to listen to one complete work composed by the research subject and respond to question(s) about the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s music.
Students are required to submit this writing assignment to eTutoring. In addition, each student will be required to turn in the eTutorÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s comments with the final draft of the assignment as proof that he/she made use of the service.
Below are eleven (11) biographical questions for each student to address during the course of their research.
1. When and where was the musician born?
2. What are the names of the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s parents, their occupations and any additional facts regarding their role in developing the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s musical talent?
3. What are the facts regarding the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s general education and musical training?
4. What instrument, or instruments, (include voice) did the musician play?
5. Based on the range of years of the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s life and work, to what traditional period of music history does he (or she) belong?
6. What influences (i.e., family members, teachers, or established musicians of the day) helped to shape the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s musical work?
7. What kind(s) of music (e.g., chant, opera, oratorio, art song, symphony, etc.) did the musician create over the span of his (or her) career?
8. After listening to one of the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s compositions, how would you characterize the music? Include the title of the piece of music that you are discussing and the details that illustrate the musical elements present in the piece (i.e., melody, harmony, rhythm).
9. What is the most significant contribution that the musician has made to the history of music?
10. When did the musician expire? Give specific details regarding the circumstances of the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s death?
11. Recount one anecdotal story about the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s life or work that you discovered during your research?
What are the names of the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s parents, their occupations and any additional facts regarding their role in developing the musicianÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s musical talent?
Composer Research Project