During finals week, you are required to submit a 5-7 page, well-researched analytical business report. You will begin your research and preliminary writing steps this week.This week’s assignment covers the vital first steps in report writing. If the problem statement, purpose statement and research questions are poorly written in the initial stages of research (i.e. to vague, too broad), then your report will likely reflect the problems.
1) Read the Final Analytical Business Report Instructions in the last Module before going to step 2.
2) Think about what problem you are attempting to help your audience, the CEO, solve. Now write yourproblem statement.
- Note: The Problem Statement is the overall question you want to answer in your report. Many students prefer to phrase the problem statement as a question, but you may make it a declarative statement if you wish.
3.) Next, write your purpose statement.
- Note: The Purpose Statement is mainly a restatement of the problem, written as a goal statement.
4.) Write at least four (4) research questions and suggest how you will obtain the answers to those questions when you perform research. What sources will you use? Be specific; stating you will perform an online search is not specific enough.
- Note: The Research Questions in an analytical business report serve as a guide for the entire report. Your research is conducted to answer the questions, which when answered will solve the stated problem (problem statement).
The research questions must be answered by the primary and secondary sources you cite in the report.
Assignment Example: You May Use the Example Below for Guidance
Written below is an example of what you would submit for this assignment. The scenario for this example is that Acme Hay wants to purchase a new fleet of trucks. Research is necessary to determine whether to purchase Ford, Dodge, or Chevy trucks for its fleet. The problem and purpose statement examples, as well as the research questions, are based on that scenario. Note that the headings are differentiated (bolded) from the main text an all major words in the headings are capitalized.
Should Acme Hay purchase Ford, Dodge, or Chevy trucks for its fleet of trucks?
The purpose of this report is to determine what brand of truck – Ford, Dodge, or Chevy – Acme Hay should purchase for its fleet of trucks.
- Which trucks would employees prefer to driver?
This question will be answered using an employee survey, a form of primary research.
- What are the costs of the Ford, Dodge, and Chevy trucks?
This question will be answered using Ford, Dodge and Chevy dealership website searches, a form of secondary research.
- What are the safety features of each brand of truck?
This question will be answered using company specification sheets, a form of secondary research.
- What are the evaluations of each brand of truck according to Consumer Reports and Car and Driver?
This question will be answered using articles from the specified journals, a form of secondary research.