HSE 225 – Crisis Intervention
Current Events Project
Students will collect 5 news stories (from newspapers or reputable online resources) related to the topics we have covered in class.
- Look through your local newspaper or other, reputable online sources (websites for local news stations, online versions of newspapers, etc.). Select 3 current event articles or stories that relate to a topic we are covering in class. Your selections should be on the same topic.
- Create a 5-minute Power Point presentation that includes the following information:
- An overview of the stories you selected – who, what, where, when, etc.
- What are some of the immediate needs of the people who are involved in these situations?
- What things to human services professionals need to consider when supporting the individuals in these situations?
- What support systems are available in the local area that could help the individuals in your news stories?
- Choose a professional-looking theme.
- Carefully proofread your work for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Do not over use graphics. If they apply directly to your article, it is okay to use them.
- Be sure you provide a link to the source if you are locating your news stories from online resources.