Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s MyEnvironment site at http://www.epa.gov/myenvironment and enter your city and state or zip code, or location into the location box. Explore the site to learn more about your environment and things that might be impacting the health of its citizens.
- Identify something new you learned about your environment and how it could be affecting health by completing this statement, “I didn’t know _____.
- How could you, in the role of a community health nurse, address these concerns?
Optional: For more environmental health information, you can also visit:
- Environmental health tracking: http://ephtracking.cdc.gov/InfoByLocation/
- Air quality: http://www.airnow.gov/
- Toxic release inventory: http://www.epa.gov/toxics-release-inventory-tri-program
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.