The concept of personality assessment and test classification is shifting:
Meyer and Kurtz (2006)
Consider Meyer and Kurtz’s (2006) discussion of personality test descriptors. Please access the Meyer and Kurtz (2006) article in Doc Sharing.
Also, read the following articles:
Krishnamurthy, R., VandeCreek, L., Kaslow, N. J., Tazeau, Y. N., Miville, M. L., Kerns, R., …. (2004) Achieving competency in psychological assessment: Directions for education and training.Journal of Clinical Psychology, 60(7), 725-739.
American Psychological Association (2003). Guidelines on multicultural education, training, research, practice, and organizational change for psychologists. American Psychologist, 58, 377-402.
Discuss the following:
- The historical use of the terms objective and projective to classify a personality test, and the problems with such classification.
- The suggestions made by the authors to refer to specific tests.
- Utilizing the articles from APA (2003) and Krishnamurthy et. Al. (2004), discuss at least three important areas of competency for the clinician involved in assessments; a minimum of one of these three should address a multicultural competency.
Select a personality test (you can use the Buros website to assist in your search) and discuss what type of data it provides, and how you might use this particular test to assess a client. Research your selected test using the Kaplan library; use a minimum of 3 peer-reviewed references in addition to the three references provided in the doc sharing; in your assignment. In your case, discussion addresses the following:
- Referral question for personality assessment
- Demographic information for your potential client, including ethnicity, age, gender, socioeconomic status, and level of education
- Background data regarding the client’s current level of functioning and presenting problem(s)
- In your discussion of the assessment, process, including administration and interpretation, consider professional competencies that reflect the professional characteristics and culture of a given work setting. This assignment should demonstrate an understanding of the learning concepts that would be required to administer and interpret this assessment.
The assignment should:
- Follow assignment directions (review grading rubric for best results).
- Use correct APA formatting per the APA Publication Manual, 6th Edition.
- Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard American English.
- Be written in Standard American English and be clear, specific, and error-free. If needed, be sure to use the Kaplan University Writing Center for help.
- Be a minimum of 10 pages (not including Title Page and Reference List).
Submitting your Assignment
Put your assignment in a Word document. Save it in a location that you will remember and with your full name along with the class number. When you are ready to submit it, click on the Dropbox and complete the steps below:
- Click the link that says “Submit an Assignment.”
- In the “Submit to Basket” menu, select Unit 8: Assignment.
- In the “Comments” field, include at least the title of your paper.
- Click the “Add Attachments” button.
- Follow the steps listed to attach your Word document.
- You should revisit the Dropbox to view any helpful feedback your instructor has left for you.
- Make sure that you save a copy of your submitted assignment.