Digital Literacy Skills Portfolio Artifact
The elements of 21st Century Digital Literacy Skills include information literacy, media literacy, and information and communication technologies, or ICT, literacy. Think back on projects you have participated in, products you have created, and processes you have developed or applied in a school or workplace setting that demonstrate application of 21stcentury digital literacy skills. Drawing from these experiences, create or describe an “artifact” for inclusion in your 21st Century Resume and Portfolio project. If you have not had experiences in which you applied these skills, imagine a situation in which these skills would be put to use and describe the project, product, or process in detail. Reflect on this year’s Horizon Report for inspiration and ideas.
Assignment length: written 2- to 3- pages.
- Course Text: 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
- Chapter 4, “Digital Literacy Skills: Info-Savvy, Media-Fluent, Tech-Tuned” (pp. 61–7 1)
- Website: Barker, J., & Obromsook, S. (2009, August 11). Evaluating web pages: techniques to apply & questions to ask. Retrieved fromhttp://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Evaluate.html
Note: Evaluating information critically and competently is a vital digital literacy skill for 21st century learners.
The following Websites are “hoax” Websites, specifically designed to provide practice in evaluating the authenticity and credibility of information provided at the site. Using the guidelines presented in the Evaluating web pages: techniques to apply & questions to ask, evaluate the authenticity and credibility of these Websites.
- Website: Zapato, L. (2011, February 23). Save the pacific northwest tree octopus. Retrieved from http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/
- Website: Way, T. (2011, March 17). Dihydrogen monoxide research division. Retrieved from http://www.dhmo.org/
- Website: Visit exciting Fredericton new Brunswick Canada. (n.d.). Retrieved on April 11, 2011from http://descy.50megs.com/descy/webcred/webcred/Fredericton.html
- Website: Google job opportunities. (20