This case is in the textbook on page 467.
This case describes a classic example of an organization which is heavily decentralized into distinct lines of business – each with its own IT group – suddenly recognizing the need for a flexible and responsive IT function, a common view of the customer and the elimination of redundant systems.
The Case Study should be five to seven well-written pages with at least 5 Professional Refererences.
Case Reading Note:
The key point in posing the following questions is to help set the scene for Patton’s next steps. The questions listed below are for you to ponder, as you are reading the case. It is not necessary for you to submit answers to the questions. They are strictly for you to see the relevance and the logic to these questions, as you read the case. Here are some questions to ponder as you reflect upon the case:
- What do you think about Patton’s firing of the DIOs?
- There are two parts to this discussion that need to be explored. First, was there no possible way of getting the DIOs onsite? Second, was it appropriate to fire the DIOs publically as opposed to privately?
- Also, examine the DIO firings from the point of view of the four Divisional Presidents. See organization chart (see attached Appendix B) which shows Patton’s office and the DIOs in green to highlight these reporting relationships.
- Do you think the DIOs have a dotted-line relationship with their Divisional presidents and a dotted line to Patton; or is it the other way around?
- How do you think the Divisional Presidents will feel about Patton’s firings?
- Would they feel as if Patton just fired “their” employee? It doesn’t appear that they were made aware of these impending firings by Patton.
- How would they feel about that?
Answer the five discussion questions listed below (can also be found at the end of case study in book)
- List the advantages of a single customer service center for RR Communications.There are six of them.
- Devise an implementation strategy that would guarantee the support of the Divisional Presidents for the shared customer service center.
- Is it possible to achieve an enterprise vision with a decentralized IT function?
- What business and IT problems can be caused by lack of common information and an enterprise IM strategy?
- What governance mechanisms need to be put in place to ensure common customer data and a shared customer service center? What metrics might be useful?
All answers to the questions should be well-written and well-thought out. Your submission should also include two to three well-written paragraphs providing a strategic view. Your submission must support the Case Study with Research
To help keep the various reporting and relationship roles straight, I have attached the organization chart as an appendix.
Please follow this rubric for case study and meet the following criteria:
Organization – strive for well-developed paragraphs, smooth transitions between paragraphs, and ideas focused on a central theme.
Development – strive for ideas focused on a central theme and all ideas clearly presented.
Conventions – strive for no errors in sentence structure (capitalization, grammar, presentation and general structure.) APA Style – strive for correct cover page, in text citations, format and reference page have no errors.
Please see grading rubric titled “Rubric Case Study 2” under Rubrics/ Grading.