For this assignment, first complete the Locus of Control self-evaluation from this Unit 7 Study 1. Using the results from the self-evaluation and this unit’s text and study materials, write a paper that encompasses the following:
Discuss the goal of social justice and how multicultural counseling and therapy is related to social justice values.
- How do the concepts of worldview and locus of control inform competent counseling practice?
- Based on the self-assessment, what did you learn about your locus of control?
Refer to the cases presented in your reading from the Center for Applied Linguistics: Cultural Orientation Resource Center’s “Challenges in Resettlement and Adaptation of Muslim Refugees” (scroll down to page 19 of the PDF) and select one that interests you. Imagine that the caseworker has referred the individual, couple, or family to you for counseling. Based on your readings, identify and discuss the cultural considerations that would inform your work with the client or clients.
As you consider the challenges faced by your client or clients, you recognize that you have a responsibility to take on the role of advocate. Propose an advocacy plan for the client for the selected case study that addresses the following:
- Analyze the counselor’s role in promoting social justice by reducing biases, prejudices, and process of intentional and unintentional oppression and discrimination.
- Describe advocacy strategies to promote social justice for diverse populations at the individual, couple, family, and group levels. (To demonstrate distinguished performance, analyze these strategies and identify the significance of client self-advocacy.)
- Analyze the characteristics and concerns of refugees, both nationally and internationally, as they pertain to culturally competent counseling practices. For example, what are international political and social issues that a counselor should seek to understand about Muslim refugees? What national policies, such as Homeland Security, need to be considered?
- Evaluate the historical/current impact of immigration, poverty, and welfare from both a historical and current political perspective.
- Evaluate advocacy processes that address institutional racism and social barriers that impede access, equity, and success for clients from diverse populations.
- Address your role as the counselor in the reduction of biases, prejudices, and discrimination, whether intentional or unintentional.
- Social justice is a philosophy or theory that promotes equal access and opportunity for all people, by advocating at the micro (individual or family), meso (school or community), and macro (public policy) levels. Recommend a strategy that you could employ to promote social justice at each of those levels
Your paper should be 5–7 pages long and should include a minimum of 5–7 references from current peer-reviewed journals (one source may be your course text). Use current APA format for all citations and references.