In preparation for this discussion, read the following articles:
- Work, Family, and Stress (Clark, 1992)
- Flexible Work Arrangements (Koch, 1998)
- Top 25 Companies for Work-Life Balance
- Everybody Wins With a Healthy Work-Life Balance
- 10 Ways to Establish a Better Work/Life Balance
Balancing work and personal responsibilities can be a challenge. Employers are increasingly acknowledging these struggles and are instituting policies to help address them. Please address the following:
- Suggest two policies that you think employers could institute that would best promote work-life balance among their employees. Be sure to explain why you think these policies would help.
- Would all employees benefit from these policies or just certain types of employees?
- Once these policies are instituted in the workplace, what role does workplace culture play in whether or not employees take advantage of them?
- What effect would these policies promoting work-life balance have on workplace productivity?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7
In preparation for this discussion, review the following resources:
- Emotional Labor Study at the University of Memphis
- Job Stress (Clark, 1995)
You may also want to read, “Stress in the Workplace: A costly epidemic.”
There are many stressors in the workplace that affect employees. Emotional stressors are no different. As our economy has moved from a manufacturing to a service-based economy, there are many more workers in a variety of occupational fields that are expected to manage their emotions according to employer demands. Emotional labor refers to a form of emotion regulation that creates a publicly visible facial and bodily display within the workplace. The increasing prevalence of this type of work introduces a new set of stressors in the workplace.
In your initial post
- Describe examples of emotional labor in the following professions:
- Human Resources
- Give a suggestion of what employers can do to help employees address the personal impact of emotional labor?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7.