Each student will be required to select, research, and develop a 15-20 slides presentation on ONE of the following topics:
- The Underground Railroad
- Slave rebellions (1800-1865)
- African American activists/abolitionist (ex: Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, William Lloyd Garrison) (1800-1865)
- Emancipation: African Americans role in the Civil War (fight for freedom) (1861-1865)
- Role of black churches and black newspapers in the abolitionist movement (1800-1865)
The presentation should include a detailed description of the topic, relevant background information, proper citations, significant names/dates and major accomplishments. The PowerPoint presentation should also contain slides with maps, statistical data, historical photos, and/or newspaper clippings.
- Each slide should have at min 3-4 bullet points. If you use a map or photo please provide a 1-2 sentence description detailing the caption. All presentations must include a citation slide (this does not count as one of the project slides).
Sample slide headings for the presentation (slides no 1-17)
This is only an example you DO NOT have to follow this outline.
Overview of topic (1)
Important facts related to the topic (2-5)
Major events or individuals related to the topic (description of why this is important to the reader) (6-8)
data/stats and/or photo, maps related to the topic (9-11)
Conclusion summarizing your understanding of the topic (12-13)
How does this topic relate to the material read or discussed in class (14-17)
Here are the videos or materials from class to answer slides 14-17: