- Your explication should be 3-4 pages. Times New Roman Double Spaced 12 Point Font
- It should analyze the poem’s Form and several other of the poem’s elements: Simile, Metaphor, Personification, Metonymy, Synecdoche, Rhythm, Meter, Alliteration, Assonance, Rhyme.
- Your explication is not a summary of what the poem is about. Nor are you expected to unravel the poem’s “meaning.” Rather, you are explaining how the poet used a particular poetic element, and you are analyzing how that element affects the rest of the poem.
When writing your explication:
- Include a thesis statement that states the element you are analyzing and why.
- Follow a systematic writing pattern by analyzing the element on which you are focusing line by line or stanza by stanza.
- Provide textual examples (words, phrases, and lines) from the poem to illustrate your analytical statements.
- Cite at least two sources using correct APA formatting