Project Deliverable 1: Project Plan Inception
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: a project introduction and a project plan. You must submit both sections as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for. Additionally, you may create and / or assume all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
You are currently the Chief Information Officer (CIO) for an innovative Internet-based company (use Amazon.com as the example for naming purposes only) with gross revenues of more than $35 million dollars per year. During an executive leadership meeting, you were told that your company will be merging with a multinational company of equal size and you will be responsible for developing a project plan to strategically integrate all systems, including databases and infrastructure. The Chief Executive Officer has given you sixty (60) days to deliver an information technology project plan in anticipation of the company merger. Your company will be expanding from one (1) floor to three (3) floors within six (6) months. Since this merger will be bringing two (2) fairly equal-sized companies together under one roof, the infrastructure must be redesigned to accommodate the increased needs. Your company currently uses operational systems and relational databases but desires to expand into data warehousing. All information technology (hardware and software) must be redesigned to meet organizational needs. The solution should be implemented in either a hosted solution, on-site solution, or a hybrid model. The CEO is expecting you to integrate different technologies from different solution providers and incorporate industry best practices in connection with the development of technological systems. In addition, the CEO is extremely interested in cloud technologies and virtualization but is leery of security issues; however, the CEO is sure that you will implement proper security protocols. The company currently consists of twenty five (25) employees but is expected to increase to sixty five (65) employees when the merger is complete.
Section 1: Project Introduction
- Write a four to six (4-6) page project introduction that documents the current state of the organization prior to any development or enhancements, takes into account all the information given above, and includes the following:
- Background information of the company:
Amazon.com: In all industries online, Amazon sets its records straight. Fortune 500 that lists the most profitable companies in the world put Amazon in the highest position. Amazon, a bookseller that has been established in 1995 dominated the e-commerce because it sells anything you are looking for online. You say movies, music, clothing apparels, jewelry pieces, books, pet supplies, foods, and car parts? Go to Amazon and prepare you shopping basket because you will not leave the e-commerce website with an empty basket. Amazon’s Seattle, Washington-based e-commerce site sees through its worldwide operations that include France, Germany, UK, Canada, China, and Japan.
- Details regarding the type of business activities that the company is involved in.
- Speculation on outsourcing and offshoring opportunities.
- A description of the current information systems that the company has to support the business. The description should include an overview of the following:
- operational systems, databases, and data warehousing.
- cloud technology and virtualization.
- network infrastructure and security.
- The use of at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Must have introduction and conclusion.
- All paragraphs must be labeled.
- All paragraphs (except introduction and conclusion) must have in-text citations.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Section 2: Project Plan
Use Microsoft Project to:
- Create a project plan (summary and detailed) template. The project plan should:
- Record all tasks, subtasks, resources, and time related to the project.
- Outline the planning, analysis, design, and implementation phases.
- Develop in accordance with the SDLC.