Write a short research paper on primate ecology: relationships between primates and their environments.
This essay is a type of research paper, not an opinion paper. You will research the interaction between diet, activity levels and social group patterns for two different species of primates and report you findings in a short paper. Consider the effects of different types of food on the size and composition of groups, predation risks, territories and niches, activity patterns (diurnal vs. nocturnal, for example), number of potential social partners and their relationships with one another in a specific environment.
Choose two primate species that have very different food sources (folivores and frugivore/carnivores, for example) or different ways of exploiting similar food sources (gorillas and bonobos exploit different aspects of the same environment and have very different social behaviors). Have a look at the following powerpoint presentation from CSU-Fullerton to get some ideas: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanthro.fullerton.edu%2Fpatton%2FChapter%25206.ppt&ei=uDfPUoPeNsPooATMxoDgBA&usg=AFQjCNEYFU79gcGmQxm69u5QssTK3Waymw
1) Use the textbook as your primary source of information: Stanford, Allen and Anton’s “Exploring Biological Anthropology” 3rd edition.
2) Use the following website as a resource: http://www.arkive.org/ (primate resource site)
You may use other primary sources of information. Primary sources are scholarly articles from scholarly journals, government publications or college-level educational sources.
You may NOT use Wikipedia, Answers.com, Enchanted Learning.com or any other similar tertiary source. DO NOT use any blog source or Internet student-generated sites to gather information. Use of these sites will result in half-credit as a starting point for your grade.
NOTE: There are no “do-overs” in my class. Your work submitted will be graded permanently. You may submit a draft copy of your work no less than one week in advance if you want me to check it and return it with comments or suggestions for improvement.
Your paper must have an introduction and a conclusion. Your thesis statement must appear at the end of your first paragraph. At least two species examples that illustrate your points must appear in the body of the paper. Your conclusion should demonstrate what you learned from comparison of these two species in terms of their eating habits, social structures and ecological adaptations.
1) Papers must be organized and well written to be considered for full credit.
2) Typed, double-spaced, spell-checked and proof-read for correct grammar.
3) One-inch margins – no 1.25 inch margins. Adjust your default margins to 1-inch if necessary.
4) Two full pages minimum, three-page maximum.
5) Use in-text citation every time you use a statement or concept from any source (textbook included).
6) All sources must be referenced in APA format on a separate sheet.
Papers without a source page will lose 5 points.
Using anyone else’s work without providing proper citation is plagiarism.
You will receive a “0” on this assignment if any part of it is plagiarized.