Instead of being a traditional research paper, this two-part project will allow you to sharpen your critical thinking skills as well as focus more on your specific interests. This should prove to be a more efficient use of your time. Here are the details:
Part 1 – The Policy Manual (4 specific elements of a policy manual):
- Assume that you a member of an HR consulting team providing HRM consultation for a new small business that will have 4–10 employees (full-time and part-time).
- The business will open soon and you are now developing a policy manual/employee handbook.
- Select 4 issues that you will want to include in the policy manual that corresponds with the general topics addressed in the text. Write a relevant policy for each issue that you believe would be needed in your business. Remember, this is a policy not a procedure. This is not to be an all-inclusive policy manual. You are only providing 4 elements of a policy manual for the purpose of this course.
Pick any 4 for the topics/issues
a. Emerging HR Challenges (a variety of issues)
b. Work Flow or Job Analysis
- Equal Opportunity (or some other legal issue addressed)
- Recruitment and Selection
- Employee Separations, Downsizing and Outplacement
- Performance Appraisal
- Write your policy for each issue and format it the way you would like to include it in your policy manual. Write a policy that is truly meaningful and useful to you and that reflects your personal philosophy. You are a strategic partner to the business owner, and this should be an area that you want to make sure to cover. However, do not write it as a contract between two individuals. A policy manual is provided to employees from the standpoint of the organization.
- Your submission for Part 1 needs to be 5–6 pages in length plus the cover sheet. Do not submit a paper longer than this length – points will be deducted for each page over the 6 page limit.
- Manuals are due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 6. Be aware: late projects will be penalized regardless of reason given.
Part 2 – The Research Paper (researched rationale and support for your policy manual):
- The second part of your project is to provide your own philosophy and researched rationale for the nature and substance of your policy written in a research paper (APA format). This paper is to be reflective of an academic research paper. You will not include references to the fictitious company specifically in this paper. Write a research paper (in APA writing style) addressing the reasoning (rationale) for the inclusion of the four policy elements in a policy manual that you chosen. Why should these elements be in a policy manual? What laws or guidelines mandate an organization follow these guidelines? And so forth…
- Support your rationale with at least 10 scholarly references, your textbook, and the Bible. (If you are unsure what constitutes a scholarly resource, please ask your professor.)
- This APA formatted paper should be 7–10 pages, plus cover, abstract, and references. Do not submit a paper longer than this length. Points will be deducted for each page over the 10-page limit (for the body of the paper). The point is to provide a concise researched rationale.
- Remember to use APA format for citing all of your references. A grade of an ‘A’ will not be given if this format is not followed. You must also write in third person.
- The research paper is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 6 and is to be submitted along with the policy manual. Be aware: late projects will be penalized regardless of reason given.
Grading Criteria for the Individual Policy Manual
Format/APA/Grammar-Punctuation: (45 points)
- 12-point, Times-New-Roman font (no bold or underlining)
- Is the appropriate font utilized consistently?
- 1-inch margins
- Are the margins accurate and consistent?
- Accurately spelled words, appropriate grammar and punctuation
- Are the punctuation marks correctly utilized?
- Are the verb tenses accurate?
- Is the subject-verb agreement accurate?
- Appropriate indentations
- Appropriate spacing (double-spaced consistently)
- Complete sentences
- Are there fragmented sentences?
- Are there run-on sentences?
- Are the sentences/paragraphs logical?
- Is the answer/response easy to read?
- Third person format
- Appropriate elements (APA level headings, cover sheet, abstract, etc.)
- APA formatted in-text citations and references (for the rationale)
- Are in-text citations and matching references included for every element utilized from another source?
- Are the in-text citations and references accurately formatted utilizing the APA writing style?
Grading Criteria for the Individual Research Paper
Content: (105 points)
- Logical application of the topic chosen
- Explicit and concise explanation (Do not assume your employees will know what you are saying – give details!)
- Is the analysis of the topic relevant?
- Have the topics been addressed through an analysis, synthesis, and evaluation of applicable elements?
- Does the project contain each of the required components?
- Is the project supported by the minimum sources required (the textbook, 10 outside sources, and the Bible)?
- Does the analysis of the topic include assessment/analysis of your Christian worldview?
- Have all applicable regulations and laws been considered and discussed?
Remember, your grade depends on MBA level, quality work. Do not expect a passing grade for this project if it is not apparent you have put forth great effort and diligently followed directions!