Cherokee Myrtle Driver, a translator at the New Kituwah Academy, takes great joy in the fact that while the school has been running for only two years, it has produced fluent speakers of the Cherokee language. In contrast, while Cherokee central schools have taught the language for the last thirty years, they have not produced one fluent speaker, so New Kituwah Academy is clearly beneficial to strengthening the Cherokee language.
“The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians New Kituwah Academy: Myrtle Driver.” Our Mother Tongues. Makepeace Productions. n.d. Web. 20 Jan. 2015.
In an essay of Four typed pages of text, supported from our assigned sources, examine the specific positive influences or benefits of working to restore heritage languages for Native Americans.
“The Language Map.” Our Mother Tongues. Makepeace Productions. n.d. Web. 20 Jan. 2015.http://www.ourmothertongues.org/languagemaps.aspx.
Littlebear, Richard E. “Chief Dull Knife Community Is Strengthening the Northern Cheyenne Language and Culture.” Journal Of American Indian Education 42.1 (2003): 75-84. Education Full Text. Web. 20 Jan. 2015.
Makepeace, Anne. We Still Live Here – Âs Nutayuneân. WGBY. 2011. Web. 20 Jan. 2015.
McCarty, Teresa L., Mary Eunice Romero, and Ofelia Zepeda. “Reclaiming the Gift: Indigenous Youth Counter-Narratives on Native Language Loss and Revitalization.” American Indian Quarterly 30.1/2 (2006): 28-48. JSTOR. Web. 20 Jan. 2015.
- You are not limited to the Language Map you were assigned to examine for evidence and support: other entries will also provide further support for your line of reasoning. Student discussion in class of other language groups may offer useful information for your developing line of reasoning.
- Drawing on specific details and examples from assigned sources can strengthen the essay.
- Follow MLA format and documentation style for the required internal citation and works cited list, as it is presented in Everyday Writer. Missing signal phrases and dropped quotations will result in points deducted from your score: 5 points will be deducted for each error.
- Please use a standard font (preferably Calibri, Calibri Light, or Arial) and limit font size to 10 or 11. Also delete the extra space between paragraphs.
- Proofread to eliminate errors that weaken coherence, confuse the reader, and lower the essay’s score.
- In response to the topic, make a claim concerning the value of language restoration efforts and support it with reasoning and evidence from assigned sources. For example, many language learners report a strengthening of identity as well as other connections to their heritage culture as a result of learning a tribal language.