In continuation of the policy change cycle, a policy proposal is prepared and reviewed for adoption by key decision makers. Therefore, it is essential that the proposal be technically and administratively effective, politically acceptable, and legally and ethically defensible. In this assignment, you will learn how to prepare and review a policy proposal for adoption by key decision makers.
On the basis of the readings and your research, create a 3- to 4-page paper addressing the following:
- Discuss a draft policy or plan for review. What problem does it address, and what solutions does it propose?
- Identify the possible stakeholders’ interests and concerns regarding the draft and proposed solutions in particular.
- Identify the risks associated with the proposed policy.
- On the basis of your analysis of the second and third points above, suggest modifications to the proposal to enhance its chances for adoption.
- Describe the goals of the involved parties in preparing the draft. What influence efforts (if any) do you see represented in the draft? What additional influence efforts might you recommend to convince decision makers to consider the proposed changes and, ultimately, adopt them?
- Identify the actions and resources required for implementing the proposal once adopted.
- Describe the kind of resistance that might be encountered during the implementation of the policy. What are some steps that leaders of policy advocacy efforts can take to overcome it?
Your paper should utilize a minimum of two resources from professional literature in your research. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources; relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov).