Homework 4 – Chapter 5 and Research Paper Outline
Learning Objectives #1: Identify and analyze legal, ethical, social, and security issues related to network and stand-alone computer systems; #2 Demonstrate an understanding of basic legal processes and of computer misuse, fraud and the law; and #3: Explain how regulations such as the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and industrial standards impact national and global computer interaction.
Possible points: 50
NOTE: Use your best word processing skills to complete these questions. Poor use of word processing reduces your possible point score by 10 points.
- Suppose a denial-of-service (DoS) attack shuts down two dozen major websites, including your email server, Amazon.com, Google.com and Facebook. The attack is traced to one of the following perpetrators. Discuss if different penalties are appropriate depending on which perpetrator it is. Explain why and how these penalties would be different.
- A foreign terrorist who launched the attack to cause billions of dollars in damage to the U.S. economy.
- An organization publicizing its opposition to commercialization of the web and corporate manipulation of consumers.
- A teenager using hacking tools he found on a website.
- A hacker group showing off to another hacker group about how many sites it could shut down in one day.
- Research paper outline.
- Select any legal or ethical computing topic for your final research project.
- Using Word, create a topic outline (I. A.1.a.).
- The topic outline should include an Introduction, a Comparison of Viewpoints from literature on your topic, a Description of the Methods you plan to use to locate your research, a list of appropriate laws, an Opinion Summary, and a beginning List of References – you will be adding more as you write your research paper (use APA citation style formatting)
- Use a right-aligned header that contains your name and the date, and a footer that contains a centered page number
- Do NOT use justified paragraph alignment