Assignment 1: Discussion—What You Want and What You Can Get
The purpose of this assignment is to examine how negotiation takes place in a team and how to increase awareness of the additional challenges and complexities posed by negotiating in such a setting.
Consider that you are the team leader for a group of six volunteers that has to negotiate the purchase of land and real estate for a midsize nonprofit organization. You have been given a budget of $1.5 million. However, the property that your management is interested in costs $2 million. A successful negotiation would entail a thorough exploration of the situation. Respond to the following questions:
- How will you address the discrepancy between the market value and the demands of the management team?
- How will you achieve a mutually acceptable solution?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a team in this kind of setting?
By Saturday, February 13, 2016
Assignment 2: Negotiation, Ethics and Effective Leadership
The purpose of this assignment is to examine the relationship between negotiation, ethics, and effective leadership.
Use the Argosy University online resources or other credible sources on the Internet to locate and explore examples of President Obama’s negotiation and leadership skills with Iranian leaders in 2009. Evaluate how effective or ineffective his skills are in regard to U.S. relations with Iran and complete the following tasks:
- Explore the role of deception and ethics in negotiation. Cite at least two examples of possible deception in the President Obama and Iranian leaders’ negotiation.
- Discuss the effectiveness of President Obama’s negotiation tactics and explain how interests, goals, power and style impact the negotiation skills of a leader.
- Describe and explain at least two tactics such as threats, ultimatums, bullying, blocking etc. which may have been used to derail the negotiation between the President and Iranian leaders.
- Describe which rules of negotiation may have been broken during these negotiations. Use examples to support your response.
- Discuss at least two strategies or actions which could have been adopted by the President to improve these negotiations. Justify your response.