The aging workforce (consisting of baby boomers) in the United States is becoming more prevalent in organizations due to people living longer and a decrease in the number of children (age 16-24 bracket). The baby boomers (born in between 1946 and 1964) are working side-by-side with the generation X (born in between 1965 and 1980) and the millennials (born after 1981). Some baby boomers have come back to the workforce after taking early retirements. Employers are content with hiring baby boomers because of their knowledge, experience, job performance, and loyalty to an organization. With globalization (large labor market), a volatile economy, technological advancements, and competition, human resource professionals are tasked with creating an employment brand that is satisfying for internal employees and appealing to external potential employees. For example, Google is an organization that consistently ranks among the best companies to work for. They have implemented strategies that have helped with the recruitment and retention of employees. One aspect of a thriving employment brand is the recruitment of baby boomers.
Please begin by reading:
Minchington, B., & Estis, R. (2009). Six steps to employer brand strategy. Retrieved on September 13, 2014 from: http://www.ere.net/2009/05/18/6-steps-to-an-employer-brand-strategy/
Muhl, C. J. (2001). The employment-at-will doctrine: Three major exceptions. Retrieved on September 13, 2014 from: http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/01/art1full.pdf
Reeves, S. (2005). An aging workforce’s effect on U.S. employers. Retrieved on September 13, 2014 from: http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/28/career-babyboomer-work-cx_sr_0929bizbasics.html
HR Management: Planning & Forecasting. (2010). Retrieved on September 13, 2014, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7Q51zHp4I&feature=related
HR Management: Training & Development. (2010). Retrieved on September 13, 2014, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85RVEas4AXs&feature=relmfu
Then, drawing on the material in the background readings and doing additional research, please prepare a 4-5 page paper (not including the cover and reference pages) in which you:
- Analyze the aging workforce from a human resource professional perspective and discuss the added value of having an aging workforce when recruiting new talent. Also, what impact will an aging workforce have on an organization’s overall image? Based on your experiences and research, describe a “thriving” employer brand.
- What trainings could you provide?
- How specifically might HRM determine whether or not there is value in having an aging workforce? What types of qualitative and/or quantitative data might need to be gathered?
Your paper will be evaluated on the following points:
- Precision – Does the paper address the question(s) or task(s)?
- Clarity – Is the writing clear and the concepts articulated properly? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of response to the questions, or are excessive use of quotations how thoughts are conveyed? Are headings included in all papers greater than 2 pages?
- Breadth – Is the full breadth of the subject addressed?
- Depth – Does the paper address the topic in sufficient depth?
- Grammar, spelling and vocabulary – Is the paper written well – is the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary suitable to graduate level work?
- Referencing (citations and references) – Does the paper use citations and quotation marks when appropriate?
- Critical thinking – Is the subject thought about critically, i.e., accurately, logically, relevantly, and precisely?