For this assignment you will review a serial killer’s case in depth.
“First, choose one of the following serial killers (your choice should be a person you have not already discussed for an assignment in this course):
- David Berkowitz (son of Sam) taunted police over a year and shot fifteen people (six died) in New York City. The movie “Summer of Sam” was about this time.
- Gary Ridgeway (the Green River Killer) holds the American record for most victims. He confessed to killing forty-eight over a sixteen-year period but is suspected of having killed many more!
- Wayne B. Williams is believed to be the killer of twenty-four children and young men in Atlanta, though there is still some doubt.
- John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo were the “DC snipers” who shot thirteen people (ten died) over three weeks in the Washington DC area in 2002.
- Ted Bundy: Confessed to almost thirty murders (there may have been more). He was known for being smart and good-looking, and acted as his own lawyer.
- Jeffrey Dahmer: His case captured worldwide attention after his capture, mostly due to his habit of keeping parts of his victims long after their deaths, as well as cannibalism and necrophilia.
- Kristen Gilbert: An example of a female serial killer, she was a nurse who killed hospital patients in her care.
For this assignment, create a 4- to 5-page report in Microsoft Word document, that covers the following points:
- Summarize the case: time period, location, number of victims, etc.
- Describe the killer’s background, methods, and area of operation.
Determine which of the theories relate to this killer and show why you made this determination.
- Strain Theory
- Social Structure Theory
- Social Class Theory
- Social Process Theory
- Social Control Theory
- The MacDonald Triad Theory
How did the killer select his or her victims? Was there anything that the victims did to provoke the killer? Are the victims in this case in any way responsible for their own deaths?
By analyzing all of the above information, you should now be able to propose a three-part typology and explain your analysis. Your typology should describe the killer’s motivation, location, and organized or disorganized factors. For instance, John Wayne Gacy might be described as a Power/Control, local, organized killer.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format