Global Cultural Differences
Performance management systems and appraisals are very common in the United States and some other countries. However, challenges can be experienced when performance management approaches are used in other countries where multinational organizations have operations, or when they are used with employees who have diverse backgrounds with characteristics very different from those of an American background.
In some countries and cultures, it is uncommon for managers to rate employees or to give them feedback, particularly if some points are negative. For instance in Saudi Arabia, China, and Japan, there is a high respect for authority and age. Furthermore, in some cultures employees may view criticism from superiors as a personal attack rather than useful constructive criticism and feedback.
Task: As the CEO of your global organization, write a memo to your employees and stakeholders where you discuss the importance of using an ethical and respectful performance management system.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Your paper should be 2-4 pages, not including the cover sheet and reference page. You are expected to deal with these issues in an integrated fashion, rather than treating them as a series of individual questions to be answered one by one and left at that.
You will be particularly assessed on:
- Your completion of all the steps in the exercise.
- Your ability to synthesize information and present a concise and meaningful paper.
- The clarity and quality of your writing.
SLP Assignment Expectations (Structure)
- Make sure that you use your own language (rather than copying sentences from the article).
- Your paper will be graded based on the following criteria: Precision, Clarity, Breadth, Depth, Grammar/Vocabulary, Referencing, and Application.
- Use 12-point type size (Times New Roman), double-spacing, and one-inch margins. Add a cover page and a references list