For your final paper, you should select a media text you would like to examine through a critical lens. We have discussed multiple topics this semester; this is your chance to take what you have learned and apply it to the media you consume! The media text you select could be any of the following: a television show, a film, an Instagram account, a Snapchat “celebrity”, a magazine, a billboard or bus stop advertising campaign, a musician, a podcast, a reality TV show, the list goes on.
Once you have selected your text you should decide how many items you will use. For example, if you choose to do a social media text you should select up to 10 posts (or one day of snaps) to analyze. If you choose a television show, you should limit yourself to 1-2 episodes depending the length. As you analyze your text, remember that you are looking for what it does well and where it falls short. Watch for content that speaks to the topics we have covered in class.
Your paper should answer the following questions:
- What is your media text?
- What is the significance of this text?
- What did it do well?
- Where are the shortcomings?
- Who consumes this media?
- What representation do you see? Do you notice any stereotypes?
- Who produces this media (is it a studio? Who owns that studio?)?
- Did your perspective change when actively analyzing this media?
- What recommendations do you have for improving the treatment of sensitive topics?
- 10-page minimum, double spaced
- 12-point font
- At least 5 outside sources (not including the textbook)
- Correct grammar and spelling
- MLA Citation guidelines
- Clear discussion of topics covered in class (Gender, sexuality, race, politics, etc.)