Term Paper: International Terrorism
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
Choose an international terrorist group from the following list, and use the Internet or Stayer databases to research the origin, purpose, and effects on the U.S. or targeted countries.
· Al Qaeda (SQ)
· Hanni Network (HON)
Write a ten to fifteen (10-15) page paper in which you:
6. Provide a brief description of the group, and summarize its origins.
7. Explain the group’s major motivation(s) (beliefs or causes), and / or its justification for engaging in terrorism.
8. Describe the group’s major sources of both financial and non-financial support.
9. Evaluate the importance of the group’s use of media to aid in its terrorist activities. Indicate, at a minimum, the group’s purpose for using the media, the image being portrayed, and the preferred methods of communication.
10. Determine whether or not the group has a legitimate complaint or demand. Defend your response.
11. Determine whether or not the group and its activities are of importance to the U.S., and explain the key reasons that they are or are not significant.
12. Analyze the response of the U.S. to the group or its activities, regardless of whether or not either the group or its activities directly threaten or target the U.S. Determine whether or not that response has been effective. Support your answer with examples of such effectiveness—or the lack thereof.
13. Suggest the major changes you would make geared toward increasing the efficiency of the U.S.’s response to the group. Justify your response.
14. Use at least five (5) quality resources in this assignment
· Assignment 5: Senior Seminar Project
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
In Week 1, you chose a topic area and problem or challenge within that area. Throughout this course, you have researched the dynamics of the problem. The final piece of your project is to develop a viable solution that considers resources, policy, stakeholders, organizational readiness, administrative structures and other internal and external factors, as applicable. Using the papers you have written throughout this course, consolidate your findings into a succinct project.
Write a ten (10) page paper that as a minimum, your project should include:
1. Identify the topical area (e.g., local police department, community jail, border patrol)
2. Define a problem or challenge within your topical area that you understand in some depth or have an interest in (examples include high crime rate, poor morale, high levels of violence or recidivism, high number of civilian complaints of harassment, inadequate equipment). Outline the context of the problem or challenge, including the history and any policy decisions that have contributed to the situation.
3. Describe how internal or external stakeholders have influenced the situation in a positive or negative way. How will you consider stakeholders in your solution to the problem? How will you motivate individuals to buy into your solution?
4. Discuss how technologies or information systems have contributed to the problem and how you will propose technology be implemented into the solution.
5. Discuss what data you have collected or researched to indicate there is a problem. Include at least two sources of data and how each is relevant to the problem.
6. Develop an effective and efficient solution(s) and a course of action (i.e., plan) that addresses the problem or challenge.
7. Explain what methods of assessment you will employ to measure the effectiveness of your solutions.
8. Develop a 10-15 slide PowerPoint Presentation that summarizes the seven items above.
9. Use at least 8 quality references.