By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assignment criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate communication issues and trends of various cultures within the United States.
- Provide examples for the traits of phonology, semantics, and syntactics.
- Competency 3: Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and attitudes to increase intercultural competencies.
- Explain what a language may suggest about its culture.
- Discuss communication issues that arise because of the differences in languages
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Note: Before beginning this assignment, read the requirements for The Power of Language discussion in this unit (u03d1), as you will submit the Adobe Connect video clip (and its related transcript) you create for the discussion as part of this assignment.
For this assignment, select a language other than your native cultural language. (This may mean a dialect commonly used by smaller groups of people and meanings may not be easily understood by others.) Research this language to learn more about its phonology, semantics, and syntactics. Write a short paper in which you address the following:
- Given the information you gathered, write a short summary of the language you chose. Provide examples for the traits of phonology, semantics, and syntactics.
- Explain what the selected language may suggest about the culture from which it originates. For example, the English language borrows extensively from other languages and tends to reflect the melting-pot nature of U. S. culture.
- Discuss communication issues that arise because of the differences in languages. Include observations you made when creating and viewing your video clip for the Power of Language discussion and any observations you made of native speakers of your selected language.
In addition to your paper, submit the Adobe Connect video clip you recorded for The Power of Language discussion in this unit, along with its related Word transcript.
Refer to the Lanuage Traits and Power of Language Scoring Guide as you develop this assignment.
- Written Communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA Formatting: Paper, resources, and citations are formatted according to APA style and formatting.
- Paper Length: 2–3 double-spaced pages (not including title and reference pages).
- Font and Font Size: Times New Roman or Arial, 12 point.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click on the linked resources for helpful writing information.