In this assignment, you will study how nonverbal communication plays an important role in managerial communications.
Using the South University Online Library or the Internet, research on nonverbal communication.
In your professional experiences, you may have experienced managers that were not great at communicating with you as employees. For one reason or another, the manager was unable to effectively communicate with his or her employees. A large part of communication is not what the manager says, but his or her nonverbal communication and listening skills.
Discuss a situation in which you had a manager or other leader who was not good at nonverbal communication or was not an active listener.
Based on the situation and your research and readings, answer the following questions in a minimum 1000-word posting:
- What was the conversation about? Explain the details that led up to the conversation and the main topic of the conversation.
- Why do you feel the leader or manager was not actively listening? What did the leader or manager do in regard to nonverbal communication to show you that he or she was not actively listening or was not effectively communicating with you?
- How did you react to the situation?
- What would you have done differently if you were the manager?
- Analyze a minimum of three outside sources from the Internet that are reliable and deal with nonverbal communication that a manager could use in order to improve his or her active listening skills and body language in conversations such as you discussed. Based on your analysis, make recommendations on how the manager could have handled the situation.