1. Use the readings of this unit regarding the concerns confronting Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, Muslim Americans, Jewish Americans, and Hispanic/Latino Americans in the United States to complete this discussion activity.
- Explain how institutional racism could result in internalized oppression for members of marginalized populations. Provide examples relevant to a specific minority group, based on the chapters you selected.
- Discuss how historical and current views on immigration result in challenges. Provide an illustration, using a different specific minority group.
- In your own words, define acculturation and provide an example of how this may impact ethnic minorities and their families.
2. eferring to your reading and the presentation The Impact of Diversity, prepare a post that completes the following:
- Discuss the centrality of communication (verbal and non-verbal) in counseling with diverse clients. Briefly define proxemics, kinesics, paralanguage, and high-low context communication.
- Consider the counselor’s communication in The Impact of Diversity and analyze how her communications may have been perceived by the Gonzalez family (for example, quietly jotting notes on a clipboard, refusing a refreshment).
- How could increased awareness of cultural considerations related to ethnicity and economic resources improve the counseling intern’s interactions with and understanding of the Gonzalez family?