Consider the ethical aspects of health care and health policy for an aging population.
- Review the Hayutin, Dietz, and Mitchell report presented in the Learning Resources. The authors pose the question, “What are the economic consequences, now and for future generations of taxpayers if we fail to adapt our policies to the changing reality of an older population?” (p. 21). Consider how you would respond to this question. In addition, reflect on the ethical decisions that arise when dispersing limited funds.
- Contemplate the impact of failing to adjust policy in accordance with the changing reality of an older population.
- Reflect on the ethical dilemmas that arise when determining expenditures on end-of-life health care.
By Day 3
Post an explanation of the ethical standards you believe should be used in determining how resources should be allocated for an aging population and end-of-life care. Then, provide an analysis of the ethical challenges related to the preparation for the provision of such health care.
The final application builds upon the applications (Parts One and Two) completed in weeks 4 and 7.
To complete the final section of your paper:
- Review provisions 7, 8, and 9 of the ANA Code of Ethics in relation to advocacy for population health.
- Reflect on the ethical considerations you may need to take into account in your advocacy campaign.
- Research the ethical considerations and lobbying laws relevant to the location where your advocacy campaign will occur.
- Consider potential ethical dilemmas you might face in your campaign.
To complete: Revise and combine Part one (week 4 application) and Part Two (week 7 application) with Part Three below.
- Explain any ethical dilemmas that could arise during your advocacy campaign, and how you would resolve them.
- Describe the ethics and lobbying laws that are applicable to your advocacy campaign.
- Evaluate the special ethical challenges that are unique to the population you are addressing.
- Provide a cohesive summary for your paper.
Reminder: You will submit one cogent paper that combines the previous applications from weeks 4 and 7 plus the new material mentioned in the week 8 application. Your paper should be about 10 pages of content, not including the title page and references. Be sure to paste the rubric at the end of your paper.