Final Essay Topics
develop a short essay
Read the two textbook readings—“Analects of Confucius” and “Epic of Gilgamesh” and compare the attitudes of Chinese (Confucius) and Mesopotamians (Gilgamesh) to religion (deities and gods).
1. The essay must be typed and saved in MS Word format (use Times New Roman font, 12pt size, double space).
2. Length: 4 pages.
3. It should have a formal title.
4. All direct quotes should be appropriately cited. Please use footnotes, not endnotes. Here is an example. (don’t know how to insert footnote? google!)
5. Insert page numbers in your essay (at the center of the bottom).
6. Put your name under the paper title. (No title page needed)
7. For more instructions about essay writing, read “Essay Writing Guide” under “handouts” folder on course website.
How will your paper be graded?
Your paper will be graded based on instructor’s judgments on these aspects:
Your writing must have a point. It should be responsive to the question or topic you have selected for comment. Although it is not essential for you to offer an absolutely brand new argument or thesis, your paper should provide a clear opinion, summary, and/or interpretation of relevant materials.
Your paper must be well organized, proof read, and spell checked. Paragraphs should have topic sentences that provide transitions between points and explain to the reader how the material you are presenting is relevant to the topic under discussion.
Historians rely on evidence to substantiate their arguments. Evidence should be used to illustrate points, provide examples, establish chronology and to show the reader how you came to draw the conclusions you are presenting in the writing.
How to submit your paper?
By the due time, you should submit your paper to Turnitin.com (an online system for learning how to write with sources and to prevent plagiarism).
Here are the detailed instructions to submit your paper:
1) go to www.turnitin.com
2) click on the Create Account link, register and create a user profile
You will be asked to input the class ID and password
3) Your class will show up on your homepage. Click your class to open class portfolio; your class portfolio shows the assignments your instructor has created.
4) Click the Submit button next to the paper assignment, fill in all the spaces and upload your paper from your computer
5) A digital receipt will be emailed to you.
The system will automatically stop accepting your submission after due time!
So, finish as early as you can!