Discussion Topic 1:
Consider the brands of a company that has a large brand portfolio and identify specific brands that function in three of the four roles that brands may play within that portfolio: high-end prestige brands, low-end entry level brands, cash cows and flankers. Do you believe the firm has done of good job of effectively creating brands to fit these roles? Explain.
Discussion Topic 2:
Describe the product characteristics (i.e., core benefit, basic product, expected product, and augmented product) of two offerings from the list below Choose one Goods-type offering and one Service-type offering. Please make your choice from offerings that have not yet been addressed by other students (post a placeholder to reserve two offerings while you work on your response):
|· Starbuck’s coffee
· Apple laptop
· Tide detergent
· Nike sneakers
· Maytag washer
· Nintendo Wii
· Microsoft Windows
· Rolex watch
· Boeing aircraft
· Pampers disposable diapers
· New York Times newspaper
|· Southwest Airlines
· Marriott hotels
· Hertz Rent-a-car
· Merry Maids
· Plane Fitness work-out gyms
· Monster.com job-finding service
· UMUC Graduate School
· Bank of America Investment services
· New York Yankees
· Toyota Automobile Service Centers
· Hair Cuttery
For each of the two offerings, describe how one or more aspects of their marketing strategy are based on its product characteristics.
Discussion Topic 3:
One element of the tangible product is packaging. Packaging serves a number of functions beyond the mere protection of the product. In fact, with some brands, the package may play a central role in the growth of the brand. Discuss two products, one in which the package plays a significant role and one in which it play a minor role. Discuss the potential role of packaging in innovation.
Discussion Topic 4:
Experts have defined a brand as “a set of differentiating promises that link a product to its customers.” Applying this framework to your organization,
- What are your organization’s differentiating factors that set it apart from its competitors or other organizations?
- How does your organization communicate these factors to customers, employees and other stakeholders?
- If you were the CEO of your organization, how would you change these communications to make them more effective?
Week 6 – Branding
- Brand Management. (2015). Research Starters: Business (Online Edition),
- Measuring Brand Equity
- Prymon, M. (2016). Dynamic aspects of brand management. Economics, Management, and Financial Markets, 11(1), 135-142.Retrieved from http://addletonacademicpublishers.com/economics-management-and-financial-markets
- Johar, G. V., Birk, M. M., & Einwiller, S. A. (2010). How to save your brand in the face of crisis. MIT Sloan Management Review, 51(4), 57-64.Retrieved from http://sloanreview.mit.edu/
- Park, C. W., Eisingerich, A. B., & Pol, G. (2014). The power of a good logo. MIT Sloan Management Review, 55(2), 10-12.Retrieved from http://sloanreview.mit.edu/
- Aaker, D. A. (2012). Win the brand relevance battle and then build competitor barriers. California Management Review, 54(2), 43-57. doi:10.1525/cmr.2012.54.2.43
- Uggla, H. (2016). Leveraging luury brands: Prevailing trends and research challenges. IUP Journal of Brand Management, 13(1), 34-41.Retrieved from http://www.iupindia.in/Brand_Management.asp