The Discussion Board (DB) is part of the core of online learning. Classroom discussion in an online environment requires the active participation of students and the instructor to create robust interaction and dialogue. Every student is expected to create an original response to the open-ended DB question as well as engage in dialogue by responding to posts created by others throughout the week. At the end of each unit, DB participation will be assessed based on both level of engagement and the quality of the contribution to the discussion.
At a minimum, each student will be expected to post an original and thoughtful response to the DB question and contribute to the weekly dialogue by responding to at least two other posts from students. The first contribution must be posted before midnight (Central Time) on Wednesday of each week. Two additional responses are required after Wednesday of each week. Students are highly encouraged to engage on the Discussion Board early and often, as that is the primary way the university tracks class attendance and participation.
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
Focus your discussion on the following:
- Do companies today take culture, as defined in Unit 1, into proper account and balance it along with other aspects of productivity? Why or why not?
- Provide two specific instances from your experience and from academic literature to support your response. Be sure to include APA-formatted references in your response for sources you use to support the explanations and arguments.
- How can an individual sustain and grow a healthy and useful culture in the areas of music, literature, art, theater, education, or religion?
- Which area(s) of the humanities should be emphasized? Why?
- What is the role of the individual versus the role of government in sustaining and building a healthy and robust culture through the humanities?
- What is the role of educational institutions in shaping and encouraging specific cultural and humanities concepts alongside the emphasis on knowledge and facts?