The purpose of the Portfolio Project is to synthesize current research in project management and make recommendations for how the knowledge can be applied in an organization. The Final Project is structured to help you demonstrate an understanding of the course material, as well as the implications of new knowledge gained from outside research.
For your Portfolio Project, read the case study “Let’s Go All the Way” on pp. 483-492 of your textbook, Case Studies in Project, Program, and Organizational Project Management. Based on the case study, you will write a proposal recommendation supported by key aspects of your analysis of the Global Infrastructure Group (GIG) situation. When writing the proposal, assume the role of a highly regarded project management consultant hired to review, analyze, and advise GIG on the necessary requirements for a comprehensive project management system that can be used in a global organization that develops small-, medium-, and large-scale projects. Your proposal should address the following key elements:
- Discuss the principal components of a project management system for a large-scale global organization. At a minimum, your discussion should include:
- Project Selection
- Prioritizing Projects
- Project Organization
- Program Management
- Planning and Scheduling
- Estimating Cost
- Monitoring and Controlling
- Communication, Metrics, and Project Updates
- Risk Management
- Role of Information Technology
- Summarize your recommendations for how Global Infrastructure Group can use project management principles to meet their goal of improving efficiency and empowering management to make better and informed decisions through the use of processes, tools, and standards in completing projects.
- Justify how an effective project management system contributes to organizational effectiveness while achieving global competitive advantage.
- Discuss the optimal role and level of involvement the project management office should have in managing small-, medium-, and large-scale projects across the organization.
- Finally, present your strategy on how GIG can share best practices across the international organization.
Your essay should meet the following requirements:
- Your well-written and properly written proposal paper should be 12-15 pages in length.
- APA Format
- Cite at least six current scholarly resources, available from the CSU-Global library, to support your assertions. One of the sources may be your textbook.
- Include a title page and a reference page.