- Northeastern Graduate program has sharpened my accounting skills and laid a great foundation for me to start my career in public accounting. It has also challenged me to hone my skills in areas such as public speaking and case reviews, ensuring that I have the expertise to approach situations from a unique perspective and clearly articulate my ideas.
- Northeastern is a prestigious institution renowned for the high caliber of its students and its huge network of accounting firms and businesses, including the Big four. If you’re looking to fulfill the 150 credit hour requirement for CPA licensure, this program allows you to do so in a short period of time. Many of the required courses relate directly to material on the CPA exam. The faculty is very supportive and willing to help you inside and outside the classroom. Everyone in the small, close-knit program comes from different backgrounds, which allows for a diverse classroom experience.
- My long-term professional goal is to pursue the CPA certification and work at one of big four accounting firm.
- My pervious experience: two co-op experiences.
My first co-op was working as accounts payable coordinator. Here is my main job:
- Processed Latin America, Finance and IT invoices timely and accurately via PeopleSoft and ApproveIT
- Worked with Markit to utilize online vendor TIN validation process and inputted new vendors into Peoplesoft
- Assisted to process employee expense reports for reimbursable business expenses and handled pay-cycle, managed the distribution of vendor checks and other payments
- Served as a ‘customer service representative’ by interacting with multiple internal and external business partners on various topics such as payment status, banking information and special request
My second co-op:
- Processed bank deposits for all business units and recorded the appropriate journal entries
- Assisted to prepare and submitted the Investment Company Institute (ICI) monthly and quarterly reports
- Processed vendor invoices and payment requests using the PeopleSoft A/P system
- Assisted in the month-end close process by uploading journal entries and providing invoice back-up
These two co-op experience gives me a basic idea of how accounting works in the real world, learned necessary computer skills which are very important for accounting job.
- After looking at other accelerated programs, I found the D’Amore-McKim MSA program at Northeastern to be the best fit for me and my goals for graduate school. They offer a challenging curriculum and have high expectations for their students.