Type your answers on separate paper and staple to this sheet
Section 1: Identification: Define the following terms (5 points each)
- Problem-solution organizational pattern
- Extemporaneous speaking
- Elaboration by discussion
- Web organizational pattern
- Thesis statement
Section 2: Identify and briefly explain 3 of the 8 assumptions of invitational rhetoric (15 points)
Section 3: Short answer questions (20 points each)
You are the founder and CEO of a major corporation which has shown losses for the past two years. You have decided to resign and have called a meeting of the Board of Directors to announce your decision. You hope the Board will support your choice of a successor: a young brilliant executive who currently holds an important position with a competing firm which recently attempted a take-over of your company. Your interactional goals are to articulate a perspective, to seek adherence and to build community. Your thesis statement is, “With your support, XYZ Corporation will once again be a leader in the industry.” Answer the following questions about this speaking situation.
- Discuss 2 factors of credibility which will be an important part of your focus as you plan your presentation and state why each factor would be important.
- Delineate an organizational pattern you could use to develop this presentation and describe how you would structure the presentation using it.
- Name a type of introduction and a type of conclusion which you could utilize to begin and end the presentation, and briefly explain what the content of each might be.
- Name 4 forms of elaboration you could use to develop this presentation, and briefly describe how you would develop them in the presentation.
- In addition to the communicative options you have designed in the above questions, suggest 4 ways in which you would try to create an environment of transformative potential. (i.e. create safety, value, freedom, and openness).