Outline for Preparation of Manual
A. Name of product to be sold.
B. Name of company you are selling for.
C. Course name and number.
D. Your name and date.
I. Developing a Relationship Strategy
A. Describe the typical relationship between salesperson and customer in this field.
B. Describe the appropriate salesperson’s attitude.
C. Describe the appropriate salesperson’s appearance.
D. Describe the methods used to strengthen a long-term relationship for repeats and referrals.
E. Describe your communication style.
II. Developing a Personal Selling Philosophy
A. Describe the marketing setting (e.g., retail, wholesale, manufacturing, or service).
B. Describe the role of personal selling in this setting.
C. Describe the typical salesperson’s training to become a consultant/problem-solving type of salesperson.
III. Developing a Product Strategy
A. Description of company
B. Description of product/created product solution
C. Description of technical expertise needed by salesperson
D. Develop feature benefits worksheet.
E. Is this a new and emerging or mature and well-established product?
F. Will you use a price or value-added product strategy?
IV. Developing a Customer Strategy
A. Describe the typical buying motives of prospect.
B. Describe the typical prospect as an individual (and as a company representative, if appropriate).
C. How are prospects identified in most cases?
V. Developing a Presentation Strategy
A. Preparing for the sales presentation.
1. List presentation objectives.
2. Describe a typical sales cycle (how many calls).
3. Describe team versus one person, and group versus individual presentation strategies.
4. Describe ways to achieve a good social contact.
B. Describe methods to achieve good business contact
C. Customer Need Discovery
1. List questions that will determine the prospect’s needs
2. Match typical customer buying motives with features and benefits of the product, company, and salesperson.
3. Create a summary of an appropriate need-satisfaction presentation strategy (informative, persuasive, or reminder).
D. Creating the sales presentation
1. List features/benefits you will discuss and demonstrate.
E. List selling tools you will use
F. Negotiating sales resistance
1. Anticipated sales resistance.
G. How will you overcome sales resistance?
H. Closing the sale
1. Consider closing clues to be alert to.
I. List closing methods you plan to use
1. Servicing the sale
2. List additional items you will suggest to the customer.
3. How will you assist the customer with delivery and/or installation; with warranty and/or service contract; and in securing credit arrangements?
4. What type of postsale courtesy contacts will you make?