Imagine you are a newly hired curriculum designer in a learning organization program that is either K-12 or post-secondary (e.g., community college, university, etc.), or other current or prospective learning environment. You will be searching for ways to improve professional or academic competencies by designing a contextually based-mandated curriculum.
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
- Describe the learning environment and students / target audience(s) of your current or prospective workplace for which you would like to design a curriculum. Identify and provide a rationale for a specific professional or academic skill set that you will focus on in your curriculum design and development.
- Determine the components of the current or proposed curriculum mapping, and analyze how each component is uniquely important for the curriculum mapping in question.
- Provide at least three (3) Essential Questions relevant to designing your curriculum. Provide a rationale for using the chosen Essential Questions in the curriculum design. Note: Please refer to Chiarelott, Chapter 2: Moving from Essential Questions to Statement of Purpose for more information on Essential Questions and Statement of Purpose.
- Assess the primary goals of a Statement of Purpose, and analyze their impact on your proposed curriculum design.
- Analyze the historical context of contextual teaching, including discussions, for at least four (4) types of curriculum orientations. Select a rationale for the orientation(s) for your curriculum design.
- Use at least three (3) scholarly resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites that can be edited by the public do not qualify as scholarly resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the approaches to mandated and discretionary curricula.
- Analyze various mandated curriculum models as they are applied.
- Analyze issues facing curriculum design and concepts of learning in K-12 and postsecondary programs.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in designing mandated and discretionary curricula.
- Write clearly and concisely about designing mandated and curricula using proper writing mechanics.