Watch the full movie (S.W.A.T. (feature) 2003) and answer the following questions;
|Officer Street _________________________
Officer Gamble _______________________
Sergeant Hondo ______________________
Officer Buress (hot dog officer) ____________________
- Chapter 2: Kleinig’s Models of Policing. Please define each model and indicate the which model best suits the listed movie characters.
- Crime fighter
- Emergency operator
- Social enforcer
- Social peacekeeper
- Chapter 2: Police Culture. Describe occupational culture. How is occupational culture apparent between Captain Fuller and Officers Street and Gamble during their disciplinary review meeting.
- Chapter 11: Media Ethics. Define Moral Panic. The sergeants were discussing how the media was presenting a “week-long series attacking us from top to bottom”. How is this a possible manifestation of Moral Panic?
- Chapter 2: Coping with Stress. What coping mechanisms does Street utilize in dealing with the loss of his spot on SWAT?
- Chapter 2: The Nature of Police Corruption. Please define the various types of police corruption and indicate which type best suits the movie characters.
|Officer Gamble _______________________
Officer TJ McCabe____________________
- Opportunistic Theft
- Protection of Illegal Activities
- The Traffic Fix
- The Misdemeanor Fix
- The Felony Fix
- Direct Criminal Activities
- Internal Payoffs
- Corruption of Authority
- Chapter 11: Media Bias. Describe Bias as discussed in Chapter 11. How is Bridget the Midget an example of inappropriate bias as she describes police harassment reports “You guys are all pigs!”
- Chapter 7: Solitary Confinement. Describe the three forms segregation. Indicate why Alex Montel is in solitary confinement.
- Punitive segregation
- Protective segregation
- Administrative segregation
- Chapter 3: Policing and Mental Illness. In regards to the “Polish Hostage”, what type of deployment may have been more appropriate than a SWAT call out?
- Chapter 11: Media Ethics. Describe the media involvement in escalating the escape attempts of Alex Montel by perpetuating the reward of 100 million dollars. Should the media have been held to the “Avoiding Harm” doctrine? Why or why not?
- Chapter 2: Angry Aggression. Offender Alex Montel says that the shooting of the decoy mission and death of an officer would probably result in 20 new recruits. Street responds: “Boxer, thank him for me, will you.” (punch to the gut). What is this an example of?
- Chapter 7: Corrections Subculture. Upon the transfer to Alex Montel to the federal prison. What perception is the director perpetuating in the corrections officer?
- Chapter 8: PREA. Sergeant Hondo snidely remarks that “100 mil will buy you a nice husband in there”. PREA would address this by accomplishing what 5 purposes?