Classical and Modern Approaches
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 2: Distinguish between classical and modern audience-centered approaches to public speaking.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the terminology of speech studies through examples and definitions.
- Analyze the applicability of the concepts to classical and modern speech.
- Demonstrate an understanding of when and how to use transactional, hypodermic, and audience-centered approaches.
- Explain how ethos, pathos, and logos are used in developing speeches and their importance in an effective speech.
- Explain how situation, purpose, and audience are used in developing speeches and their importance in an effective speech.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format, with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Write a 3 page essay explaining how classical and modern audience-centered approaches affect public speaking. Compare and contrast classical and modern approaches.
Be sure to include these terms in your essay: