Each and every day, you are faced with having to make split-second decisions, and the need to solve random problems that you encounter. As you have learned in Units 1 and 2 to reach those decisions and work those problems out, you are subconsciously using the scientific method. In this Assignment, you will create a PowerPoint presentation to explain how you would use the scientific method to solve the following scenario.
You have agreed to take care of your friend’s dog Buddy while they go on a trip to Antarctica. On your two-hour trip to take your friend to the airport you get so caught up talking about their upcoming adventure that you do not have any time to ask questions about Buddy who is riding in the backseat. After you drop your friend off, just in time to catch their flight, you drive the two hours back home and realize that your friend accidently took the dog’s bag with them when they ran into the airport. You quickly go out to the local pet store and ask the salesperson to help you pick out food and supplies to take care of Buddy for the next few weeks. When you get home you feed Buddy but he refuses to eat his dinner. This puts you in a little bit of a panic since your friend is on a long flight and will then be on a ship to Antarctica so contacting them will be difficult. You take a deep breath and decide that you can try to solve this problem on your own. Prepare a PowerPoint presentation to show how you would apply each step of the scientific method to try to solve this problem using the proper terminology (hypothesis, experiment, etc.). Use a minimum of three references to provide factual support.
Make sure your PowerPoint ® presentation addresses the following questions. A template is provided in DocSharing to get you started. Additional slides should be added to address all the questions in this assignment and cite your sources. You are welcome to modify this template to suit your needs, being sure to meet the assignment requirements.
- Apply the steps of the Scientific Method to this situation outlining how you would try to figure out what is going on with Buddy. It should be clear what each step of the scientific method is and what you would be doing for each step. Make sure you include a hypothesis that is consistent with the provided scenario in the appropriate step. Indicate which source you are using for the scientific method itself.
- For your step that involves testing your hypothesis (experimentation) explain what would happen if the results supported your hypothesis and what would happen if the results did not support your hypothesis.
- You know you can contact your friend at some point soon but only for a short time. What three testable questions would you want to ask them to help support or disprove your hypothesis?
- Your neighbor comes over to help out with Buddy and poses the following hypothesis: Buddy won’t eat because he feels his owner is in danger. Is this a testable hypothesis? If so, please explain how you would test it. If not please explain why it is not testable in the context of the scientific method.
Basic Writing Expectations:
- At least 1000 words not counting the title or reference pages
- Include a title page, double space, font size 10 or 12
- Use a minimum of three sources
- Include a highly developed viewpoint/thesis, purpose, and exceptional content
- Demonstrate superior organization: use logic
- Free of grammar and spelling errors
- No evidence of plagiarism
- Use the APA style for all citations
- No more than 10% of your assignment should be taken verbatim from any outside sources