Project 1: Database Development
ACIS 5504 — Development Project Requirements
Due Date: October 15, 2016
(Point Value: 75 Points)
This project involves creating a fully functioning, fully realized database from scratch. For this project, you will document the full life cycle of database realization from business situation to requirements to design to implementation.
Business Situation for Project
The business situation for the project is that of Global Computer Solutions (GCS). The detailed description of the business situation is presented on page 185-189 (# 10) of the textbook. The assignment activities that you must complete are presented below.
(Note: Ignore the last paragraph on page 189 beginning “Your assignment is…. And forms”, your assignment is the one below).
Complete the following activities:
- Construct an ER model for this business situation. (10 points)
- Create a relational model from your ER model. All keys should be clearly identified. (10 points)
- Demonstrate that your database is in at least 3rd Normal Form. (5 points)
- Write the DDL to create the tables for your design. (5 points)
- Implement this model in Access or other DBMS product. You are also welcome to web-enable your database (but you must find your own server space). (5 points)
- Add records to each table sufficient to demonstrate your interfaces and reports. (5 points)
- Your application should allow the user to generate a report that shows the progress on a project similar to Table P5.10c of the description. (10 points)
- Your application should allow the user to generate at least 4 other reports needed by GCS management. Each of these reports should use at least two of the tables in your database. (10 points)
- Implement one user interface that allows recording of the hours worked for an employee on a project for a time period. (5 points)
- Database should have a main interface screen (automatically opening form) with command buttons for the user to navigate the system (move to different forms) and perform data entry and generate report. (10 points)
There are two submission requirements:
- Project Report— The project report (in MS Word) must minimally consist of:
- A description of the application suitable for users/managers to understand (at least 1-2 pages)
- An ER model
- A Relational model
- A brief (paragraph) description of the normalization process (i.e. – why is this relational model in the normal form you claim)
- DDL that implements the design
- A description of the data entered into the tables and why it is adequate for demonstrating the sufficiency of the design.
Please upload your report into the Development Project folder in the Assignments folder. The file naming convention should be: “Last Name_First Name_Development Project Report.docx”
- Database– The actual database in MS Access or other DBMS application of your choosing that includes the populated tables and working reports and queries.
Please upload your database into the Development Project folder in the Assignments folder. Please use a document naming convention that allows the DLI to determine your name. EXAMPLE: “LastName_FirstName_DevelopmentProjectDB.mdb/accdb”
This project will be graded on the following subjective criteria:
The project grades are based on these criteria:
- Project reports thoroughness and attention to detail
- Design and functionality of the database
- Relative complexity of database
- Overall aesthetic appearance of the reports and database